(This post uses md syntax),
### Software
Ubuntu 20.04.  <---- bug still on 20.04. Agree with #103 #101 #94 #78

### Hardware
Several posts above mentioned hardware, RAM or RAM updates, so I will document
mine as well.

Initial > ASUS K401UB :
- Intel Core i5-6200U (2.3GHz)
- 4GB DDR3L
- 1TB HDD,
- NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB DDR3

Improvements > RAM :
- Crucial CT102464BF160B : 8Go (DDR3L, 1600 MT/s, PC3L-12800, SODIMM, 204-Pin)
- Product page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG8X9Y
- Date: 2 months ago.
- Now: 4+8=12GB.

### Symptomns:
Past week, I copy large GIS files to my SSD. It starts super fast as expected,
then fan runs wild and either :
- transfer and UI slows down
- transfer freeze temporarily, then restarts ; UI is fine
- transfer and UI freeze temporarily, then restarts
- transfers and UI totally freeze, after 10mins+ I reboot

This `top` output was when it was lagging:

$top
top - 12:11:32 up 1 day, 18:23,  1 user,  load average: 6,77, 4,46, 3,81
Tasks: 320 total,   5 running, 315 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 66,0 us, 13,7 sy,  0,0 ni,  6,9 id, 13,4 wa,  0,0 hi,  0,0 si,  0,0 st
MiB Mem :  11880,7 total,    156,0 free,   5664,9 used,   6059,8 buff/cache
MiB Swap:      0,0 total,      0,0 free,      0,0 used.   5324,5 avail Mem

### My little secret dirty hack
While copying, unmount the disk. The copying UI box pop an error.
Under the hood it seems to clears something.
Mount back the disk. Then on the copying UI box pop an error, click "retry".
It start again at full speed.

### Observations
This shows again that it's not a single file bug but a cache/cumulative issue.

While solid leads are shown above, no solution above solved it all so far.
After 6 years it may needs a professional dedicated on the case
for a definitive diagnostic and fix.

  Ubuntu slows down and hangs while copying file from/to USB

  Hi

  While copying many and large files to and from a USB drive, the system
  becomes incredibly slow and sometimes hangs. I watched the system
  monitor while it was running slowly but cpu was not above 50% at any
  time, the same for memory.

  I'm using the "WD my passport" HD with a USB3 port of my "ASUS K55VD"
  laptop.

  Release:      13.04

  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Candidate: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16 0
          500 http://ubuntu-archive.mirror.nucleus.be/ raring/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Steps to reproduce:
  1) Aquire many large files (like your totally legit moviecollection)
  2) Copy files to external HD
  3) Open your browser and be sad when your system becomes incredibly slow
after a few minutes

  This is my first bugreport so if I'm missing something, please tell
  me.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64