Is this reproducible for you when installing trusty (vs. saucy)?
Dimitri tells me that he's successfully installed trusty inside qemu
running with the new ovmf.  It's possible that this is not a bug in edk2
at all, only a latent bug in the kernel that has been exposed by a
behavior change in edk2.

Or it may be that his qemu configuration differs from yours in some
relevant way.

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

  14.04 ovmf causes oops when running update-grub under kvm

Status in “edk2” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  On up to date 14.04, if I create a vm with:
  virt-install --connect=qemu:///system --name=sb-saucy-amd64 --arch=x86_64
--ram=768 \
  --disk=path=<path
to>/sb-saucy-amd64.qcow2,size=8,format=qcow2,bus=ide,sparse=True \
  --virt-type=kvm --accelerate --hvm --cdrom=<path to>/saucy-desktop-amd64.iso \
  --os-type=linux --os-variant=generic26 --graphics=vnc
--network=network=default,model=virtio \
  --video=cirrus --noreboot --boot=loader=OVMF.fd

  I get to the EFI boot menu. Choose Install Ubuntu, then automatic
  partitioning, with everything else defaults. By the time it gets to
  'Running update-grub', the installer kernel oops with the attached
  screenshot (to get it, go to tty1 when grub starts installing, then it
  will eventually oops when update-grub is run).

  If I downgrade to ovmf that is in 13.10, the install completes without
  a traceback. Obviously, the kernel should not traceback, but clearly
  there is a problem with edk2 too, so I am filing the bug there. Please
  reassign as necessary.