Can somebody with an affected system please try with one of the recently
released 460.xx drivers? There were some brightness regressions that
were resolved in the 460 series that may be related.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-455 in Ubuntu.

  no brightness control after update from 450 to 455

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  New
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-455 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  On my Lenovo X1 Extreme with GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce
  GTX 1050 Ti Mobile]

  Updating to nvidia-driver-455 results in loss of brightness control.
  On boot, the laptop display brightness is somewhat less than fully
  bright and cannot be changed.   The brightness up/down keys do pop up
  the gnome gui brightness widget, and /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/*
  values do change, but the actual display's brightness does not.

  Problem occurs with either version of nvidia-driver-455 (the archive
  or the ~graphics-drivers/PPA). Normal functionality returns if I
  downgrade to any version of nvidia-driver-450.

  Note also that manually applying this to
/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service has no effect on the problem:

https://github.com/hugh712/nvidia-graphics-drivers/commit/bccad5ee6444dd8c5c47ba19ea0232106a1086f5

  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      18.04
  Codename:     bionic

  kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic #60~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 6 17:25:16 UTC
  2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  nvidia-driver-455: 455.38-0ubuntu0.18.04.1