The same issue.
Notebook Asus K501 with Nvidia card and LG external monitor. It works better
with the Video Noveau driver than Nvidia 460 (when scaling the monitors, but
this I another issue). The build-in monitor is 4k and the external one is 2k
resolution.
Everytime I need to reboot I need to unplug the HDMI, else the boot fails.
What I think curious is that the systems gives the preference to the secondary
monitor instead the build-in, showing the GRUB or the logig after suspend.
I recently migrate from Windows 10 to Ubuntu-Mate... I learned how to 'survive'
this annoying behavior, but would appreciate very much any help to fix.

  Ubuntu 20.04 HDMI connected, no boot

  I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 (using the image created on 20 april) on
  my Dell XPS15 9560. This laptop has a Intel / nVidia combo.

  The problem i am facing is that when i have an external monitor
  connected to the laptop through the HDMI connector of the laptop,
  Ubuntu does not boot and hangs on the splash screen. I have not found
  any way to get logging on any kind.

  Before i was running Ubuntu 18.04 and did not have any problems with
  the monitor and HDMI cable. After boot is finished (without monitor
  connected) inserting the HDMI cable works fine and i can use the
  monitor and laptop screen without any problem.

  I have installed the preferred nVida proprietary driver. Also it does
  not matter if booting with nVidia selected or Intel selected.