It looks like a fix for this issue is already in the 137 kernel.

The change log for the -136 update shows a single change related to
Hyper-V, and that change broke the ability to open /dev/fb0 and mmap it,
which is what the graphic desktop will do.  Running in non-graphics mode
with just a shell and with ‘ssh’ access works fine, which is why Azure
VMs didn’t see the issue.

The original change went into the mainline Linux kernel version 5.10,
and the change is correct there.  It provides a significant performance
improvement for the Hyper-V frame buffer.  So we wanted it backported to
the older releases.  Unfortunately, a straight backport breaks in kernel
version 5.4 and earlier.  The backport needs a minor modification to
work correctly 4.15, but we didn’t spot that immediately, mostly because
we rarely use graphic desktops.

The 4.15.0-137.141 kernel in the queue already, so this issue will be
resolved and it only affects 136 - not 135 or 137.

  Latest linux-generic package (kernel 4.15.0-136) doesn't work on
  HyperV Gen2 VM

  On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 1&2 (so far tested), either when deploying a new
  VM (which pulls the latest linux-generic) or rebooting a VM (which
  updated the linux-generic under the cover which installs 4.15.0-136)
  will prevent the VM to boot.

  After reboot, will get stuck on /dev/sdX: clean, x / y files, k / m
  blocks.

  Using grub, selecting an older kernel, allow the VM to book without
  any issues.

  I manually installed kernel 4.15.0-135, however the issue doesn't
  repro.

  Finally I've verified that this repro on both Server 2016 and Server
  2019 versions of Windows...

  Output of /proc/version_signature (both on Server 2016/2019)
  Ubuntu 4.15.0-29.31-generic 4.15.18

  lspci -vnvn reported empty on this VM.