Old algorithm which were included up to kernel 4.15.0-54-generic seems to work
no problems for long time until there has been reported problem with Radeon
X1600 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1791312
It seems that when algorithm has been changed it broke image for multiple
different card types which were working before.
If it is not possible to create solution which would work correctly on all
cards there should be at least added some parameter for graphics configuration
which would allow to switch between old and new settings manually.
Something like:
        TearFree: auto
                supported: off, on, auto

I would suggest to add 3 modes which would choose between auto, old algorithm
and new algorithm.
In auto mode it would select new algorithm for Radeon X1600 and old for other
cards. At least it is confirmed that old should be used with HD3450 and HD3650.
In any case if auto would work incorrectly user could easily switch manually.

This is really problematic for laptops since you can't just simply
replace card with another cheap card which has better linux support.
Many older laptops which are running older Windows releases could be
switched to Linux instead of Windows 10. Currently it does not work
correctly on any recent linux distros.

  Radeon mobility HD3450 (RV620) heavy screen flickering after trying to
  upgrade kernel 4.15.0-54

  laptop Asus x50sl with graphic card AMD rv620 / Mobility Radeon HD3450.
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic.
  This happen trying any distro. I tried Ubuntu, Manjaro, Debian, Deepin, MX
and so on.
  I'm stuck with Kernel 4.15.0-54 and 5.0.0-20 (and the contemporary 5.3
kernel). I cannot upgrade to newer kernels.
  Seems that the fixes for bug #1791312 broke my kind of card.

  here is a video:
  https://youtu.be/9Rez7s0V6iA

  here is another user with same problem:
  https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1702005#p1702005