Disabling AUFS was a choice, we planned to update the test accordingly
but just didn't get to it. The only remaining software which used AUFS
in the archive was docker, and even there support is deprecated in favor
of overlayfs. In hirsute a migration strategy was put in place for
docker, so AUFS was disabled. We still have it imported into the kernel
source for the hwe kernel, as we do need to support AUFS for the life of
20.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-riscv in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu_aufs_smoke_test failed on Hirsute RISCV (CONFIG_AUFS_FS is not
  set)

Status in ubuntu-kernel-tests:
  New
Status in linux-riscv package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-riscv source package in Hirsute:

  Issue found on 5.11.0-1005.5 RISCV kernel

  Test failed with:
   Running
'/home/ubuntu/autotest/client/tests/ubuntu_aufs_smoke_test/ubuntu_aufs_smoke_test.sh'
   mount: /tmp/aufs/aufs-root: unknown filesystem type 'aufs'.
   aufs: mount: FAILED: ret=32

  It looks like this is simply because the kernel configs were not enabled:
    ubuntu@riscv64-hirsute:~$  grep AUFS /boot/config-5.11.0-1005-generic
    # CONFIG_AUFS_FS is not set

  I think it's more like a decision making here.