FYI I still do experience this bug with latest 1030 kernel oem.
No issue running 5.8 hwe or 5.11 hwe.

  Linux 5.10.0-1024.25 breaks HDMI with Intel i915

  Hi,

  [Thinkpad T480s, Intel iGPU 8550u, Ubuntu Focal up-to-date, GNOME
  Wayland session]

  Previous 5.10.0-1023.24 was ok. Kernel 5.8 HWE is ok. I did not test a
  X session.

  Plugging HDMI after GNOME is loaded fails to display anything on the HDMI
display.
  Plugging HDMI at boot or at GDM screen makes the HDMI display works as usual.

  Unplugging HDMI (display only on this one) during GNOME session does
  not update displays state. Nothing happens. I have to press the
  switch-display-key on my laptop to actualize the setup and make my
  laptop's display active.

  When I unplug HDMI during GNOME session, nothing appears in logs.

  My laptop fails to enter sleep after having unplugged the HDMI.

  Related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1924238