Hi!

I have Ubuntu 18.04 installed (due to Petalinux requirement) where
Hibernation so far at least worked. Recently I got an update
notification, confirmed it and am now running on this version:

$ uname -a
Linux datatel-XMG-CORE-M19-GTX-1650 5.4.0-77-generic #86~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Jun 18 01:23:22 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Before the update, using kernel 5.4.0.74 a "sudo hibernate" worked fine. Now it
does not, instead returns a black screen for a sec and then this notice:
hibernate:Warning: Tuxonice binary signature file not found.

In addition the system hangs for a couple of seconds.

Looking for help on that I saw several posts proposing to adapt
/sys/power/state, adding "disk" and "standby" to it. I have tried that
in any possible way I could think of, using vi directly on the file (as
su), writing it with an "echo... > /sys/power/state" command, making up
a file in my home and then copying to that location using "sudo cp
~/<file> /sys/power/state". Neither of this works. I always get a
permission error. I have even tried to "chmod" all the directories to
"777" and that was successful looking at "ls -la" but won't help either.

Maybe I should mention that my Ubuntu installation resides on a USB-
Stick.

I posted this on Ask Ubuntu and was asked to file a bug report. So here
you are.

Thanks.

Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:18.04.44
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-77.86~18.04.1-generic 5.4.119
Uname: Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.24
Architecture: amd64
CrashDB: ubuntu
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Fri Jul  2 09:16:59 2021
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20200203.1)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader
VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
 Log time: 2021-05-17 11:54:33.809310
 Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
 Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
 Done
 Log time: 2021-05-17 11:55:10.776569

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug bionic dist-upgrade third-party-packages
--
Ability to hibernate lost after update of kernel version
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1934462