** Changed in: linux-azure (Ubuntu Focal)

** Changed in: linux-azure (Ubuntu Hirsute)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.

  linux-azure Enable CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED

Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux-azure source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-azure source package in Hirsute:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-azure source package in Impish:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  SRU Justification

  [Impact]

  Microsoft has requested that CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED be enabled. This
  option has no discernible runtime impact in the default case. As
  quoted from research performed by Colin King, "I ran some synthetic
  stress-ng throughput and latency tests with and without
  CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED on CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED. I don't see enough
  variation in the throughput or latency to warrant any concern about
  enabling this option. We have quite a bit of small jitter on the
  results, but overall the kernel results are similar enough to make me
  feel OK to enable this option for Focal."

  [Test Case]

  Microsoft has tested this option using kernels at
  https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~rtg/azure-rt-group-sched-sf00314473/. The
  customer requesting this config option verified that it satisfied
  their requirements. Microsft also determined that there were no
  performance regressions for the default case, i.e., when no RT
  priority threads were created.

  [Where things could go awry]

  Adding options to the scheduler could impact work loads that we have
  yet to observe.

  [Other Info]

  SF: 00314473