Hi Colin,

I ended up creating some scripts to reduce the maximum turbo boost of my
CPU during heavy loads including the GPU. I just have a gnome key binding
to flick between normal boost and GPU+reduced boost. I've managed to avoid
these instabilities and things have been just fine.

> echo "60" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct

In addition to this, I installed some thermal pads on the CPU MOSFETs to
bridge them thermally to the laptop aluminum cover (rather than just being
air cooled). I'm not sure that this was necessary, but there were some
examples of thermal imaging of them getting quite toasty above 80 degrees
on the internet, and this seemed like a good solution with minimal cost.

Anyway; the machine is on 21.04 now, so I keep it pretty up to date. I'm
not sure if this continues to be a problem, but I am happy to reduce my CPU
freq during GPU loads as I'm usually GPU bound anyways, it makes sense to
keep things from getting too hot.

Cheers,
Berg

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 00:20, Colin Ian King <1786...@bugs.launchpad.net>
wrote:

> Thermald in bionic is relatively ancient. One may see better results
> with newer LTS versions of Ubuntu, such as focal. If this is still and
> issue perhaps upgrading to Focal 21.04 is worth trying.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1786575
>
> Title:
>   Dell XPS 15 9570 - Thermal Shutdown Event & Annoying Full-Speed Fan
>   Spin Up
>
> Status in thermald package in Ubuntu:
>   Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
>   Main Problems:
>
>   - Incorrect performance throttling results in Thermal Shutdown Event
> (~100C on CPU) as reported in BIOS log
>   - System fan during system idle powers at full speed for 1 second every
> minute or so (could also be GPU fan)
>
>   Environment:
>
>   Dell BIOS: 1.3.0 (Also present in 1.2.0, 1.1.3)
>   CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz
>   Operating Systems: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
>   Thermald Version: 1.7
>   Ubuntu Thermald Package: 1.7.0-5ubuntu1
>   Kernel: 4.17.14-041714-generic (Also present with 4.15.0-29, 4.15.0-30,
> 4.17.11-041711)
>   Intel Microcode: 3.20180425.1~ubuntu0.18.04.2
>   Nvidia Driver: 396.51-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1
>   TLP Package: 1.1-2ubuntu1
>
>   I've documented this issue on the thermald Github page with thermald
>   debug logs and configuration:
>   https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/issues/161
>
>   Basically, I've attempted to set the temperature for B0D4 to as low as
>   85000 and while the debug log seems to indicate the trip has be made,
>   the CPU scailing isn't working to keep the CPU from thermal shutdown.
>   Disabling Turbo Boost prevents shutdown of the system.
>
>   I'd expect thermald to performance throttle the CPU correctly to
>   prevent it from a thermal overheat event.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

Packages, which is subscribed to thermald in Ubuntu.