Is this a problem specific to the Pi platform or ARM in general? Is the
SSD self-powered via USB or externally powered?

Also, you logged this against linux-raspi2 which seems wrong since it
doesn't support the Pi 4. Which release and kernel are you running
(lsb_release -a, uname -a)?

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-raspi2 in Ubuntu.

  Seagate IronWolf 125 support

Status in linux-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:

  This is not a severe bug. (Lack of Firmware for linux on arm)

  Seagate's SSD IronWolf 125 (1TB) doesn't work reliable on the raspberry pi 4
(connected via SATA3 to USB, (Tried out multiple SATA3 to USB Cables)).
  After the internal ssds cache is filled the ssd will be locked and is not
accessible anymore.
  FDISK will no longer list the SSD anymore.

  The SSD is brand new and is working fine on Mac and Windows. It also works
fine on Linux (x86).
  But Linux on arm will fail on this ssd.
  I looked up on their official site to download the firmware but there is
actually no firmware to download.

  I once downloaded the ssd support program on windows to check its
  integrity => no hardware errors.