@Chris - understood. Per my most recent message, running apport-collect
triggers the following warning:

"It appears you are currently running a mainline kernel.  It would be
better to report this bug upstream at http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ so
that the upstream kernel developers are aware of the issue.  If you'd
still like to file a bug against the Ubuntu kernel, please boot with an
official Ubuntu kernel and re-file."

Excuse my noob status, but what should I therefore do?

I honestly thought that by running a kernel installed from
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.14.21/ I would be
running an Ubuntu kernel.

Thanks

  5.15 and 5.16 arm64 kernels fail to boot in VMWare Fusion

  I am using VMWare Fusion Tech Preview on an Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro
  per:

  https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/09/fusion-for-m1-public-tech-
  preview-now-available.html

  I am successfully using the 5.14 kernel series (currently
  5.14.21-051421-generic) but note this is now EOL.

  However whenever I try to upgrade to either the 5.15 or 5.16 series my
  VM hangs at boot time after:

  EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
  EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable
  EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary
  EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: Image BSS overlaps adjacent EFI memory region
  EFI stub: Using DIB from configuration table
  EFI stub: Exiting boot services...

  I see the same "hang" for both 5.15.7 and 5.16-rc4.

  FYI this has also been reported by others who note that the problem
  appears to be specific to Ubuntu:

  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-
  Tech/Anyone-have-any-luck-with-Ubuntu-5-15-kernels/m-p/2880362

  Given that I can't boot using the 5.15.7 and 5.16-rc4 kernels, I can't
  provide the output from:

  cat /proc/version

  However I attach the output from lspci.

  Please let me know what other information I can provide to help
  diagnose this issue.

  Thanks