My side question is what prevents arm64 from having the amd64 approach
where AFAIUI the image is compressed but starts with a small stub that
decompresses it.

  Reconsider compressed kernels on arm64

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Compressed kernel images were introduced in bug 1384955 to work around
  some limits on old u-boot systems. This in turn broke grub-check-
  signatures, meaning that while cloud images booted in secure boot, you
  could not upgrade grub or install new kernels on secure systems as
  that would trigger a "you have unsigned kernels" message. grub 2.06
  also fails to boot the images, as it verifies before decompressing.

  Work to fix grub to handle such images on arm64 for backward
  compatibility is tracked in bug 1954683. This bug is to reconsider
  whether the change is still necessary or could be removed in 22.04
  such that we can have proper UEFI executables again.