** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Regression: ip6 ndp broken, host bridge doesn't add vlan guest entry
  to mdb

  Starting at the end: I believe as the bug presently requires each of
  the host's bridge ports to be ipv6 addressable to enable ipv6 to
  function in the guest, and most admins won't think to add special
  entries into their host's nftables.conf to allow for it 'because who
  knew?' it represents what you might call a 'passive security
  vulnerability'.

  A recent kernel upgrade has broken ipv6/ip6 ndp in a host/kvm setup
  using a bridge on the host and vlans for some guests.  I've tracked
  the problem to a failure of the mcast code to add entries to the
  host's mdb table.  Manually adding the entries to the mdb on the
  bridge corrects the problem.

  It's very easy to demonstrate the bug in an all ubuntu setup.

  1. On an ubuntu host, create two vms, I used libvirt, as set up below.

  2. On the host, create a bridge and vlan with two ports, each with the
  chosen vlan as PVID and egress untagged. Assign those ports one each
  to the guests as the interface, use e1000. Be sure to NOT
  autoconfigure the host side of the bridge ports with any ip4 or ip6
  address (including fe80::), it's just an avoidable security risk.  We
  don't want to allow the host any sort of ip access / exposure to the
  vlan.  In other words, treat the host's bridge ports as if a 'real
  off-host switch' without expectation of making each bridge's port
  being ip6 addressable on the bridge itself.   (FWIW: Worth checking if
  the vlan is left tagged and not pvid, and the vlan is decoded in the
  guest as a separate interface, does the problem go away? It imposes
  the burden of vlan management awareness to the guest and so is not
  acceptable as a solution.)

  3. On the host, assign a physical NIC to the bridge and the vlan to
  the nic.  The egress is tagged for the chosen vlan and not PVID.
  Optionally set up an off-host gateway for the vlan, but it isn't
  necessary to show the bug.

  4. On each guest, manually assign a unique ip4 and ip6 address on the
  same subnet (you'll see though dhcp4 could work if there was an off-
  host router providing related services, the bug prevents dhcp6 from
  working).

  5. On one vm, ping the other.  Notice ip4 pings work, ip6 pings do
  not.

  6. Manually add the fe02::ffxx:xxxx entries for each vm to the vlan to
  the host bridge's multicast table. Use 'temp' if you're quick enough,
  otherwise perm.

  7. Notice pings between the guests now work on ip6 and ipv4.

  Using tcpdump and watching icmp6 traffic, you'll notice the packets
  making it across the various bridge ports the moment you manually add
  the appropriate fe02::ff... multicast address to the mdb table.
  Beware a false sense of security: Once the ndp completes and the link
  addresses are in the fdb, it can 'seem like' everything is fine until
  the fdb times out and the required mdb entry again must be used to
  allow ndp to refresh the address.

  Setting mcast_querier doesn't help.  Perhaps previous kernels turned
  off the multicast snooping by default and just flooded all the bridge
  ports with all multicast traffic so this bug was avoided.

  It's my hunch the reason there hasn't been more complaint about this
  is it takes an extra step to not autoconfigure the vm ports with
  fe80:: link local addresses on the host.  I believe the existence of
  the fe80 address on the host ports engages ndp code on the host to
  load the mdb as if preparing for the host's side of the bridge to
  participate in ip4 and ip6 higher layer traffic, but that's a 'bad
  hack that happens to work' -- it shouldn't be a requirement that each
  host vlan port have an ip6 address, after all it didn't need an IP4
  address....

  I've attached a linux-bug for you, but it's probably mostly unrelated
  info.