This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1970894

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Grub2 Error Out of Memory

  I had the grub "error: out of memory" issue after upgrading Ubuntu to
  22.04 from 21.10. I used a Live USB of Ubuntu to chroot into my system
  and after many trials and failures, I could get past the issue by
  changing line 36 in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf by using a
  different compression choice

      #
      # COMPRESS: [ gzip | bzip2 | lz4 | lzma | lzop | xz | zstd ]
      #

      COMPRESS=zstd

  However, this was still not a fix as zstd provided a quicker boot
  previously than any other but was failing now. Yet from there it
  seemed it was a compression issue. Changed it back to zstd and went to
  another fix.

  I further learned that zstd had defaulted to a lower compression value
  in /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs at 1 instead of 19 in Ubuntu 22.04. I changed
  line 196 to 19 compression

      zstd) compress="zstd -q -19 -T0" ;;

  Instead of

      zstd) compress="zstd -q -1 -T0" ;;

  Problem solved from proper chroot and updating grub2 after changing
  line 196 of /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs for my system.

  Also made comment to Bug #1842320.