> but I believe you are using an AMD EPYC server, so I don't understand
why you would be affected at all.

It may be that this server silicon has the same HW IP as the client
chip.  The change was tested on client chips before submitting.  What it
is supposed to do is set the policy for the drives in
`ahci_update_initial_lpm_policy` but only when the system supports
suspend to idle.  I find it hard to believe a server would support this
though..

I double checked one of the sosreport above and confirmed it does look
like it's the same HWIP as client though from lspci in the sosreport:

46:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH
SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

But I also looked at sosreport and system doesn't support suspend to idle.
                      Low Power S0 Idle (V5) : 0

So this function that changes is supposed to be a no-op when the system
doesn't use suspend to idle.  I wonder if the policy getting set by
default is instead CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY now.

> Can you please give mainline kernel a try?

I would also like to see mainline kernel results to find out if this is
just an artifact of something on the older kernel.  The testing done on
this change was on kernel 5.16.

  SATA device hot plug regression on AMD EPYC (Asus) server

  SATA disk hot plug can't work on Ubuntu 20.04 ga-kernel of "Linux
  version 5.4.0-109-generic", but it works on earlier version of " Linux
  version 5.4.0-42-generic"