** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox)

  Please enable CONFIG_SQUASHFS_DECOMP_MULTI_PERCPU

Status in Snappy:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  The snapd/desktop/advocacy team are investigating the startup
  performance of running snaps.

  While doing this and comparing various distros (fedora, opensuse,
  ubuntu) on Igors reference hardware we noticed that fedora is
  substantially faster at starting snaps.

  After some research it turns out that they use the
  CONFIG_SQUASHFS_DECOMP_MULTI_PERCPU=y option when we use
  CONFIG_SQUASHFS_DECOMP_SINGLE.

  I build^Whacked a test kernel in my ppa:mvo/tmp PPA that just changes
  this one option (https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/NvS4GQjnSp/) and with that
  the first run firefox startup went from 15s to 6s (!) on Igors
  reference hardware. Given the dramatic performance improvements we
  would like to get this option switched.

  However we need to be careful and double check that the results from
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1636847 are no longer an issue
  - back in 2016 the kernel team swtich to _DECOMP_SINGLE because just
  mounting a snap would use up 131Mb or memory(!).