This appears to be a proxy setting for snapd. You can try clearing the
proxy setting for snapd or setting it to your proxy server. In my
scenario, this bug popped up during an upgrade to ubuntu server v22.04
lts. Snapd was installed to the latest version, but it reported during
the upgrade:

Connection to Snap Store failed
Your system does not have a connection to the Snap Store. For the
best upgrade experience make sure that your system can connect to
api.snapcraft.io.
Do you still want to continue with the upgrade?

I got around this by setting the proxy server for snap. Put your proxy url in
between the quotes below of the following commands:
sudo snap set system proxy.http=""
sudo snap set system proxy.https=""

I tried doing a 'snap refresh snapd' after setting the proxy, but it
still indicated snapd wasn't installed (when it was). I believe this is
the actual bug.

Regardless of it saying it wasn't installed, after setting the proxy
server for snapd (to my proxy settings), I was able to perform the
upgrade and it connected to api.snapcraft.io without any problems. I
would assume if you have no proxy and clear the proxy settings (just by
entering in snap commands as they are with no proxy) it would work for
you as well.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-signed-hwe-5.4 in Ubuntu.

  "snapd" is not installed

Status in linux-signed-hwe-5.4 package in Ubuntu:

  Connection to Snap Store failed

  Your system does not have a connection to the Snap Store. For the best
  upgrade experience make sure that your system can connect to
  api.snapcraft.io. Do you still want to continue with the upgrade?

  I got the error snap snapd is not installed and tried to apt get
  snapd, which said it was already installed. So I ignored, typed
  systemctl restart snapd and tried again but upgrade still failed.

  $ snap refresh snapd
  snap "snapd" is not installed

  $ sudo apt install snapd
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  snapd is already the newest version (2.46.1+18.04).
required:
    linux-hwe-5.4-headers-5.4.0-42 linux-hwe-5.4-headers-5.4.0-45
  Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

  Package: linux-image-5.4.0-48-generic 5.4.0-48.52~18.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-48.52~18.04.1-generic 5.4.60
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-48-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.17
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Sep 30 14:47:56 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190805)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: linux-signed-hwe-5.4
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2020-09-30 (0 days ago)