** Changed in: linux-raspi (Ubuntu)

    Milestone: None => ubuntu-22.10

** Also affects: ubuntu-release-notes

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-raspi in Ubuntu.

  No console output on kinetic pi server images

Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-raspi package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  On kinetic pi server daily images with the 5.19 linux-raspi kernel
  (e.g. from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily-
  preinstalled/current/) there is no console output over HDMI. The
  "rainbow" boot screen appears as usual, but then remains while the
  system continues to boot and never switches to display the console.

  The system does still boot successfully, I can SSH into it, and
  console over serial still works but not over HDMI (testing on a Pi 3,
  and two revisions of the Pi 4). Adding either kms overlay
  (vc4-fkms-v3d or vc4-kms-v3d) to the boot configuration resolves this.
  Is it simply the case that future kernels are going to require a KMS
  overlay of some flavour or other to operate the console?

  If so, that's probably a good thing to some degree (it'll remove
  another difference between the pi server and desktop images), but
  ubuntu-release-upgrader will need to work to enforce that in the boot
  configuration for upgraders (and I'll need to tweak the gadget to
  ensure it's always included from now on).