Public bug reported:

I bought a Acer Nitro 5 AN517-55 with Quanta ACER HD User Facing',
USB 0408:4035.

The camera is reported to have problems by many users:
https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:0408-4035
The uvc camera Quanta 0408:4035 does not work with ubuntu 22,04. the camera is
“recongized” but fails installation.

My console commands report similar info to other users:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/723504/integrated-camera-not-detected-working-on-acer-nitro-5-an515-58

PROPOSED SOLUTION
I got in contact with laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com   and with
riba...@chromium.org , and subscribed to https://www.linuxtv.org/lists. And

Laurent proposed me a fix and I modified the 5,15 uvc_driver.c version,
and loaded it on github

https://github.com/Giuliano69/uvc_driver-for-Quanta-HD-User-
Facing-0x0408-0x4035-/blob/main/uvc_driver.c

I offered to test the fix, so I tried to compile the module with the new
source.

COMPILING PROBLEMS
I’m running **Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, with kernel
giuliano@Astra2A:/usr/src$ cat /proc/version_signature
Ubuntu 5.15.0-56.62-generic 5.15.64

BUT  the linux-source that I found installed seems to be different
tgiuliano@Astra2A:/usr/src$ ls -al linux-so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 nov 22 16:08 linux-source-5.15.0.tar.bz2 ->
linux-source-5.15.0/linux-source-5.15.0.tar.bz2

I expanded  the tar file, configured the IDE and compiled without error  any
errors…
I manually copied the uvcvideo.ko in
/lib/modules/5.15.0-56-
sudo cp…...

then tryed to intall the new uvcvideo.ko module
sudo rmmod uvcvideo && sudo modprobe uvcvideo

BUT… IT FAILS
giuliano@Astra2A:~$ sudo rmmod uvcvideo && sudo modprobe uvcvideo
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'uvcvideo': Exec format error

and dmesg shows
[25961.151982] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[26323.125534] usbcore: deregistering interface driver uvcvideo
[26323.189294] uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

These are the TWO modinfo from the old and new uvcvideo modules
https://pastebin.com/tSj8Exm6
Basically
OLD module: vermagic: 5.15.0-56-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
NEW module: vermagic: 5.15.64 SMP mod_unload modversions

-kindly ASK

HOW can FORCE the uvcdriver.c to match mi kernel version ?
Have I got OTHER ways to make the kernel module I’m compiling, match my running
system ?

I would like to test the module so to confirm the patch and let it enter
the kernel main stream...

BR
Giuliano

PS
btw…. to allow Eclipse to compile the kernel, I had to pass this commands
scripts/config --disable CONFIG_SYSTEM_REVOCATION_KEYS
scripts/config --disable SYSTEM_REVOCATION_KEYS
scripts/config --disable SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS

hope that this does not affect the module layout & checking

** Tags: module uvcvideo

** Patch added: "logs and uvc_drive.c files"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2000947/+attachment/5638957/+files/uvc%20camera.zip

  UVC  Quanta 0408:4035  camera PROBLEM