pitti:
Installed: 3.11.0-15.25~precise1
Candidate: 3.11.0-15.25~precise1

I know what causes this now.  I can recreate this on a virtualbox VM
using hte following steps:

Disable all network ports on VM
Install 12.04.4 via ISO image to VM
After install, log in
run apport-bug --save filename linux

and you'll get the errors noted in the original.

I'm doing some test work at a customer site where internet access is
forbidden.  So while my test servers DO have active network cards, they
have no access to the internet.

At a guess, I'm thinking perhaps apport can't check the package vs the
repo at archive.ubuntu.com and thus claims that the linux packages are
not "Real Ubuntu Packages"

If I do the same steps above, but with an active network connection to
the internet, apport works fine.

Given that we in cert do a LOT of work inside labs where you're not
allowed to connect to the internet, this can be a real problem. (same
goes for OEM engineers who work every day inside those same types of
labs)

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  linux and linux-image-generic are not Ubuntu packages

Status in “apport” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  I attemted to use apport to file a bug against the kernel today like
  so:

  apport-bug --save=filename linux

  and got the following error:

  *** Problem in linux
  The problem cannot be reported

  This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party
  package and try again.

  This was seen on a fresh, STOCK install of 12.04.4 amd64 server, with NO 3rd
party packages installed.

  This same error occurred for the following package names:

  linux
  linux-image-generic
  linux-image-3.11.0-15-generic

  This makes it rather impossible to file kernel bugs against 12.04.4.