On Thu, 4 May 2023, 22:35 Mantas Kriaučiūnas, <1967...@bugs.launchpad.net>
wrote:

> @juergh maybe it would be better simply reuse debian packaging practice
> for linux-firmware? Please also look at LP bug #1958518 - this issue is
> solved in Debian a long time ago:
>
> metapackage https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux depends on
> small firmware-linux-free package and firmware-linux-nonfree metapackage

Ubuntu and Debian have different licensing and distribution requirements of
what goes into free/nonfree/any.

metapackage https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux-nonfree
> depends on most useful "nonfree" firmware, including this pretty
> firmware-misc-nonfree package (takes only ~40 MB after installation,
> instead of ~900MB sized of Ubuntu's linux-firmware):
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-misc-nonfree
>
> For example netronome network adapters firmware is packaged separately
> in Debian, see https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-netronome

For many reasons in Debian firmwares are split into multiple source
packages which in Ubuntu we do not want for operational reasons.

Also in Ubuntu, unlike in Debian, we have support for additional hardware
detection and package installation via ubuntu-drivers.

> Someone from Ubuntu developers decided simply put all useful and almost
> not used firmware into huge package, which is updated very often and
> this causes a lot of problems for users, especially who uses SSD storage
> or slow internet connection :(
>
> For example see bug #1972806 - simple change of some device firmware
> (few kilobytes size) requires to download ~250MB linux-firmware package
> for *every* Ubuntu user. This is a nonsense and waste of bandwidth and
> other resources.

There are many optimisations we can do on that front that are orthogonal to
this.

Adopting Debian packaging split is not enough for us, and thus if we are
doing work to split things we need it to be done the most optimal way that
will serve all our current needs and the future ones. Just adopting Debian
splits will improve things a little for us, but also regress many of our
usecases which will break our users. No silver bullet so far.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  Make arch specific linux-firmware

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux-firmware source package in Mantic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  There are many kernel modules that only exist on some architectures.

  Yet linux-firmware is an arch:all package that ships firmware for all
  drivers, for all architectures.

  For example, it is pointless to ship many Intel firmware on non-x86
  machines. At the same time it is pointless to ship many Qualcomm
  firmware on non-arm machines. Or shipping nvidia firmware on
  architectures that have no Nvidia drivers. Or shipping wifi firmware
  on IBM Z / PowerPC.

  It seems like we should build-depend on linux / linux-oem kernels and
  only install relevant firmware files on relevant architectures only.