** Also affects: linux-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: linux (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Changed in: linux-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Also affects: linux-lowlatency-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux-lowlatency-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: linux-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Changed in: linux-hwe-6.2 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-hwe-6.2 in Ubuntu.

  Revert variable symbol length modversion in all the jammy kernels

Status in linux-hwe-6.2 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-lowlatency-hwe-6.2 package in Ubuntu:

  In order to support Rust in the kernel starting with Lunar we had to
  apply the following UBUNTU SAUCE patch:

    27c4fe11712c ("UBUNTU: SAUCE: modpost: support arbitrary symbol
  length in modversion")

  This patch can potentially introduce a user-space regression, because it
alters how the module names are stored in the modversion_info area.
Realistically it doesn't break anything, since this area is used only by the
kmod tools (and they've been verified to work fine also with this change
applied).

  However, to be 100% that we don't introduce regressions it is safer to
  simply revert this patch, considering that we don't provide kernel
  Rust support in Jammy and without Rust this patch doesn't provide any
  benefit.

  [Fix]

  In order to fix this we need to explicitly revert the patch in all the
  Jammy kernels that are derived from any Lunar kernel.

  To do so, after `cranky rebase`, run:

   git revert -s 27c4fe11712c

  The comment for the revert should report something like this:
  ```

      Revert "UBUNTU: SAUCE: modpost: support arbitrary symbol length in
modversion"

      This patch is required by Rust and it can potentially break user-space.
      It is safer to revert this in all the kernel backported to old releases.
  ```

  [Regression potential]

  This revert is not very critical, realistically even with the variable
  modversions patch applied we won't regress any known tool, however we
  don't to risk to introduce potential user-space ABI changes. Fixing
  this requires a slightly different action, respect to our usual
  workflow, so if some kernels are shipped with the variable modversion
  patch (for any reason), we may experience regressions with kmod-
  related tools (e.g., scripts that are using modinfo, modprobe and
  similar or custom tools that are parsing .ko sections directly).