Public bug reported:

I kept getting occasional hangs. Usually, the mouse would still move,
but I couldn't do anything other than use Magic SysRq. These seemed to
happen more after resume from suspend, but I also saw them happen if the
computer hadn't been suspended since booting. They probably happened
more often when Firefox was open and when using KDE Plasma instead of
Xfce. This persisted through several Ubuntu releases, and continued
happening in 23.04.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the "Device" section, I had the line: Option
"TripleBuffer" "1"
After I commented that out, the hangs stopped. I did that on 2023-07-14 and now
it's 2023-08-30. It has been way more than long enough to see that the hangs
stopped.

Fixing this problem, to allow me to use this option without the hangs,
isn't important to me. I am reporting this to document how removing the
option stopped hangs.

This is with a GeForce GT 710.

Package: nvidia-driver-470 470.199.02-0ubuntu0.23.04.1
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.26.1-0ubuntu2
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
CurrentDesktop: KDE
RebootRequiredPkgs: Error: path contained symlinks.
SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-470
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to lunar on 2023-04-21 (131 days ago)

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-470 (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug lunar

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-470 in Ubuntu.

  Hangs due to Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-470 package in Ubuntu: