Public bug reported:

On Ubuntu 23.10 after I install the Nvidia driver v535 I get noticeable
latency of about 10-15 seconds after I click on any application, be it
Nautilus, Terminal, Firefox. The problem lasts for about one minute.
More precise steps:

1. Install Nvidia drivers (using sudo ubuntu-drivers install)
2. Reboot
3. Login to X11 session (which becomes the default when Nvidia drivers are
installed)
4. Quickly open Nautilus, Firefox and Terminal by clicking on their icons
5. The mouse cursor turns to circle. After 10-15 seconds, some window will
appear

After about one minute opening any of these apps will open immediately,
as expected. If I logout and login to Wayland the issue is not present.
If I logout and login into X11 the issue can be reproduced, so it is not
related to boot but to login. If I uninstall nvidia drivers the issue is
gone.

It might be an issue with mutter or gnome-shell.

$ apt list nvidia-driver-535 mutter gnome-shell
Listing... Done
gnome-shell/mantic,now 45.0-1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mutter/mantic,now 45.0-3ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
nvidia-driver-535/mantic,now 535.113.01-0ubuntu3 amd64 [installed]

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-535 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-535 in Ubuntu.

  Windows are slow to open shortly after login under X11 session

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-535 package in Ubuntu: