Thanks Steffen for raising this and bringing this to our attention.
That should obviously not have happen, kernel config changes should be
propagated to all newer Ubuntu kernel version, until explicitly dropped or
modified for any other reason.
It looks like we hit a kind of a race condition here. While setting this option
in jammy, the development of mantic just started and it was missed to enable it
in the 'unstable' tree at that time.
We are looking into it soon-ish.
I believe that having a kernel in PPA to unblock you is not very helpful, since
I think you need that kernel signed with the usual (prod.) signature/key (and
not with a test/dev key coming from the PPA).

Since lunar will reach it's eol in less than 2 weeks, we'll ensure that
the option is set in mantic onwards.

  [UBUNTU 23.04] Regression: Ubuntu 23.04/23.10 do not include uvdevice
  anymore

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:
Status in linux source package in Lunar:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Mantic:
  New
Status in linux source package in Noble:

  ---Problem Description---
  Regression: uvdevice at /dev/uv not compiled into kernel

  Machine Type = IBM z15, IBM z16

  Contact Information = steffen.ei...@ibm.com

  ---uname output---
  Linux 6.5.0-14-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 14 14:16:58 UTC 2023 s390x
s390x s390x GNU/Linux

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  ---Additional Hardware Info---
  Secure Execution feature code enabled (optional)

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   # working/ old behavior
  on a fresh ubuntu 22.10 (and 22.04) LPAR/guest1 (with Secure execution
available)

  > cat /dev/uv
  /dev/uv
  > cat /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep UV_UAPI
  CONFIG_S390_UV_UAPI=y

  that's the expected state for Ubuntu.

  # current/ non expected behavior

  since Ubuntu 23.04 the following happens:
  stock kernel non-modified, latest available

  > cat /dev/uv
  cat: /dev/uv: No such file or directory

  COMMENT:
  this still can happen if the machine has no Secure Execution feature available
  However, the following should not be the case under any circumstances:

  > cat /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep UV_UAPI
  # CONFIG_S390_UV_UAPI is not set

  Somehow that configuration got lost between 22.X and 23.X.
  Maybe, because IIRC that features got back-ported to 22.X

  # Proposed Solution:

  change the kernel config to

  CONFIG_S390_UV_UAPI=y    (same as 22.X backport)

  or
  CONFIG_S390_UV_UAPI=m    (same as upstream)

  and provide a new kernel binary

  Stack trace output:
   n/a

  System Dump Info:
    The system is not configured to capture a system dump.

  Oops output:
   n/a