I'm upstream.  I saw the removal first in the release notes.  Yet I'm
not surprised by removal.  The contributions to pptp and pptpd have
declined, so the release cadence has slowed as well (1.4.0 in 2013, but
a few commits in git since).  Number of people asking for help has also
declined.  Some countries or corporations still require it, presumably
because it is so easily monitored.

Using pptpd on Ubuntu will be more difficult because of removal from
Ubuntu, but that's just a security by obscurity; very easily bypassed by
installing the software yourself.  Thanks for holding on so long.

  RM: Remove dangerously insecure MPPE PPTP from Ubuntu

Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
Status in network-manager-pptp package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pptp-linux package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pptpd package in Ubuntu:

  Remove dangerously insecure MPPE PPTP from Ubuntu

  https://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/protocol-security.phtml

  It has been dead for over 20 years now.

  Current Windows versions natively support IPSec and L2TP as much
  better alternatives.

  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fwp/ipsec-
  configuration#how-to-use-wfp-to-configure-ipsec-policies

  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-
  server/networking/configure-l2tp-ipsec-server-behind-nat-t-device