I just flashed noble arm64+raspi image and booted it in my raspberry pi 4, and
after initial rainbow screen kernel boots with 4 raspberries on the top and
boot text appears as normal. But then, before it finishes booting, the screen
goes blank.

Image is ubuntu-24.04-preinstalled-server-arm64+raspi.img.xz downloaded
at Apr/30.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 6.8.0-1004-raspi #4-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Apr 20 02:29:55
UTC 2024 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I know the system booted because I can access it over the network and I
even plugged a usb-serial adapter in the uart GPIOs and from there I can
see the boot does progress to completion and offers me a prompt where I
can use the system normally. But the HDMI screen stays blank.

The funny thing is that I have been trying daily builds for quite some
time now and they used to work well, this is the first one that does
this (the official release).

After testing some config options I found that if I change
"dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d" for "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" in config.txt then
it boots ok and the screen stays on (note the change from kms to fkms).

I also tried appending ",cma-128" to that line (it is present on other
lines -- like for pi3 and pi0 -- but not on this one), it does not help.

I don't think the issue is with my monitor since it works well for a
long time. Also I checked EDIDs, they are detected when using fkms but
they are blank when using kms:

With KMS:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid
EDID of '/sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid' was empty.

With fKMS:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid
edid-decode (hex):

00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 49 f7 00 00 00 00 00 00
01 1a 01 03 80 00 00 00 0a d7 a5 a2 59 4a 96 24
(supressed)

I do not use a graphical environment on this unit so I don't know the
consequences of this change (to me it just fixes the issue, but I guess
it was there for a reason).

Let me know if you need any other information from the environment.

** Affects: linux-raspi (Ubuntu)

Blank screen after boot in raspberry pi 4
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2064370
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages,
which is subscribed to linux-raspi in Ubuntu.