** Attachment added: "kernel-install-1.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2073924/+attachment/5800570/+files/kernel-install-1.png

  [SRU][HPE 24.04] Intel FVL NIC FW flash fails with inbox driver,
  causing driver not detected

Status in linux source package in Noble:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Oracular:

  Description of problem:

  Within 24.04 an intel FVL Idea adapter flash fails through a FW smart
  component RPM install. The flash successfully completes on the
  firmware(NVM) and fails on the firmware(ROM). The process takes
  roughly thirty minutes and still fails.

  Following this the NIC will not be recognized by the OS or RBSU until
  the next power cycle.

  Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

  Kernel 6.8.0-38-generic

  How reproducible:

  100% of the time

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Attempt to upgrade NIC (Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA2
was used in my case) using upgrade located at
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-eeaaff922a754e17
  2. Wait 30 minutes for upgrade to fail
  3. Observe that NIC is no longer recognized
  4. AC Power Cycle to bring the NIC back up

  Actual results:

  Upgrade fails and system requires a power cycle to use NIC again.

  Expected results:

  Upgrade succeeds

  [Fix]
  Additional info:

  There is an upstream patch from Intel that remediates this issue,
  where the NIC successfully upgrades in a reasonable amount of time.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net.git/commit/?id=8b9b59e27aa88ba133fbac85def3f8be67f2d5a8

  I have patched the kernel, 6.8.0-38-generic, with the patch above and
  observed success.

  [Test Plan]
  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Attempt to upgrade NIC (Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA2
was used in my case) using upgrade located at
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-eeaaff922a754e17
  2. Wait 30 minutes for upgrade to fail
  3. Observe that NIC is no longer recognized
  4. AC Power Cycle to bring the NIC back up

  Expected results:

  Upgrade succeeds

  [Where problems could occur]

  [Other Info]