Maybe a full debug log from the kernel would be helpful (assuming the
graphics driver goes quiet around the time the freeze happens and
doesn't keep flooding with unrelated information). Please try this
kernel parameter:

  drm.debug=0xf

Then reproduce the bug again and collect new logs.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-hwe-6.8 in Ubuntu.

  Screen freezes with kernel 6.8 (also "i915 driver attached, reenabling
  gpu turbo"), while kernel 6.5 still works

Status in linux-hwe-6.8 package in Ubuntu:

  After a kernel update (on 2024-08-14, if I remember correctly), the Gnome
desktop freezes, always.
  This happens sometimes already on the login screen (mouse pointer frozen, no
keyboard input accepted).
  Sometimes it happens a few seconds or a few minutes after login.
  No further input possible.
  No change to a text console possible.
  When I disconnect the USB-mouse and reconnect it, the mouse LED remains dark.
  Seems that USB is frozen too.

  This happens with kernel: vmlinuz-6.8.0-40-generic

  When I boot the previous kernel: vmlinuz-6.5.0-45-generic, no freezes
  occur and all works well.

  I managed to switch to a text console before the freeze happened.
  The attached files were created in a text console as root and then
transferred to a different computer in order to report the bug.