** Tags removed: verification-needed-jammy-linux-nvidia-tegra
verification-needed-jammy-linux-nvidia-tegra-igx
** Tags added: verification-done-jammy-linux-nvidia-tegra
verification-done-jammy-linux-nvidia-tegra-igx

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-hwe-6.8 in Ubuntu.

  Virtualbox Guru meditation on VM start caused by kernel commit in
  v6.9-rc4

Status in linux-hwe-6.8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-signed-hwe-5.15 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux source package in Jammy:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-hwe-6.8 source package in Jammy:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-signed-hwe-5.15 source package in Jammy:
  Invalid
Status in virtualbox source package in Jammy:

  BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2073267

  SRU Justification:

  [Impact]

  Commit "randomize_kstack: Improve entropy diffusion" changed the
  kernel stack for entropy to 1KiB, limiting the thread kernel stack to
  15Kib. This impacts virtualbox 6.1.50 on jammy, that is no longer
  maintained upstream. The issue does not persist on version 7.0.20 due to a
  code refactoring that probably resulted in less stack usage. Fixing it on
  the jammy virtualbox package side is not straightfoward because the fix is
  not easy to backport to 6.x and upgrading the jammy package to 7.x breaks
  current users machines that run Windows, but not only.
  Users need to uninstall the Guest additions drivers, migrate the
  virtualbox package to 7.x, boot each VMs and install the Guest additions
  drivers in each VM.

  This impacts:
  1. jammy:linux
  2. jammy:linux-hwe-6.8
  3. focal:linux-hwe-5.15

  [Fix]

  Revert commit "randomize_kstack: Improve entropy diffusion"

  [Test Plan]

  Without this fix, a VM would crash, showing with "VCPU0: Guru
  Meditation -2708 (VERR_VMM_SET_JMP_ABORTED_RESUME)".
  After the kernel upgrade, all VMs should run with no problem.

  [Where problems could occur]
  This may have an impact on security. The commit is a fix to improve the
  stack entropy.

  Original description:

  It worked yesterday, but today I get a Guru Meditation trying to start
  some of my virtual machines. This shows up in VBox.log as "VCPU0: Guru
  Meditation -2708 (VERR_VMM_SET_JMP_ABORTED_RESUME)". I suspect this
  may have started due to a Linux kernel upgrade I installed this
  morning.

  A fresh VM with no disk shows the issue. Sometimes turning off the I/O
  APIC makes the issue go away, sometimes not. Turning off nested paging
  sometimes lets VirtualBox make a little bit of progress w.r.t. booting
  VMs, but that usually still crashes before the VM finishes starting.

  This may be related to this bug reported on the VirtualBox forums:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=111889&sid=5cd33c0872a03b689e7e9f84d850f538

  https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=111918

  Ubuntu is 22.04.4 LTS, kernel is 5.15.0-116-generic, VirtualBox is
  6.1.50-dfsg-1~ubuntu1.22.04.1.