> "Unfortunately backports of this quirk for random SSD models has been
regularly done to linux -stable kernels upstream."

This problem is worse than that, because GRUB packaging assumes that
these symlinks will stay valid across OS upgrades as well.

Getting rid of the reliance on these links will be among my first plans
for 25.04 cycle, but this seems like a case of "we will never break
userspace, except when it's convenient".

  grub-efi/install_devices becoming stale due to by-id/nvme-eui.*
  symlinks disappearing

Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:

  A family member just sent me this dialog that popped up when they
  installed their updates today. I'm not sure how a regular user is
  supposed to be able to handle what is presented here. Do they check
  the box? What happens if they don't?

  Heck, even I don't know what the proper action is here.

  This dialog box needs to be removed and a safe default needs to be
  applied automatically during upgrades.