On 12.04, I have reliably found that a job which starts 4 long-running
threads on an otherwise-idle machine (there are some other threads which
have been running for some time, but they have been kill -STOPped) gets
the threads allocated to 4 distinct cores on my Haswell.

On 14.04, I found that the threads were allocated to cores 0, 1, 5, 6 -
that is, two were running on the two hyper-threads 1 and 5 of the same
core, and performance was 30% less than expected.  I can get around this
with explicit taskset commands, but for my use case it's a serious
regression from 12.04.

I am not willing to disable hyperthreading, because it gives a large
performance boost on other things I do on the same machine.

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Job with 4 threads not assigned 4 distinct cores
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1315619