After spending 15 to 20 hours on this over the weekend, I'm stunned to
report that in my case the problem was resolved by switching from CAT 5
to CAT 5e cables, a solution I dismissed as not worth trying when I
first came across this suggestion from another 5 hours into my efforts.
Here are my setup and symptoms. If anyone's interested in a particular
log or report on my setup I'm willing to pass this along.

Bought a new Shuttle DS61 v. 1.1 with dual onboard RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI
Express Gigabit Ethernet Controllers. Installed Ubuntu Gnome 14.04. The
cables I replaced were only those between my desktop machine and desktop
router (D-Link DIR 655), but I believe I'm running Cat 5e (or 6) from
inside the wall to my Netgear internet router. (I'd been working with
Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop from this same location using the same cabling
and routers for a wired connection for more than 6 months, without
incident or problem.)

Didn't really notice any latency until I ran an update a day or two
after my initial set up and noticed that the packages were lagging and
some erroring out. But, merely inspecting the “edit connections” in
Ubuntu, particularly the DHCP setting, resulted in a prompt completion
of the update session, in the manner I've come to expect on my other
Ubuntu based machines.

But, the problem persisted. My internet access was very slow, and at
times reported no connection. Pinging addresses of other machines on my
intranet showed the lan ports were working just fine for this purpose,
just over 0.2 ms per attempt with no packet loss and no intermittent
slowing. (I'm working on a website that's currently hosted internally
and I had this automatically booting in a browser tab with another
browser tab pointing to an external site throughout the many reboot
attempts involved in working on this problem. The internal site
typically came up promptly and seconds faster than the external site
(which was google.com).) Pinging sites on the internet resulted in times
of 1500 or greater and, on at least two test attempts, all packets were
loss. This corresponded to my visual experience using my web based mail
server. Lots of “still sending” instances and sporadic loss of
connection.

I tried various fixes reported by others as resolving what seemed like
the same or similar slow performance of the RTL 8111/8168 lan ports
(e.g., changed the driver from r8169 to r8168, disabled IPv6, assigned
static IP ports – I thought it was an internal network problem for a
while – and a half dozen or more other suggestions I came across in my
searches, and, for what it's worth, I'm still running the r8168 module
under the “it ain't broke” theory). It was only after signing up for
email on this bug report that I decided to switch the existing CAT 5
cables between these lanports and the Dlink. Plugging in the first of
the 5e cables resulted in immediate resolution of the internet
connection problem (I even noticed the activity lights on the lanport
flickering more quickly on the one with the 5e than the one without).
It's been up and running fabulously for about 48 hours so, with no small
amount of trepidation, I'm calling my particular iteration of this
problem solved. I hope this helps others.

  Realtek driver r8169 slow network speed

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “linux” package in Gentoo Linux:

  Network speed variable, some sites not open or very slow (example:
amazon.com).
  Replace driver with r8168 from this
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2
 not help.

  ubuntu amd64 13.10 (also tested daily build 14.04 30 Jan 2014)
  kernel 3.11.0-15-generic

  lspci -nn | grep Ethernet
  02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 0c)
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  dem        1250 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  dem        1250 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c:   dem        1250 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p:   dem        1250 F...m pulseaudio
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  CurrentDmesg: [  712.730809] hda-intel 0000:00:1b.0: Unstable LPIB (19200 >=
1920); disabling LPIB delay counting
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
  IwConfig: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  MachineType: MSI MS-7817
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-15-generic
root=UUID=2982e0ae-6485-4894-9306-01c72c340d13 ro
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.11.0-15-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.11.0-15-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.116
  RfKill: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Tags:  saucy
  UserGroups: adm audio cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo video
  dmi.bios.date: 06/20/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: V1.0
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: H81M-P33 (MS-7817)
  dmi.board.vendor: MSI
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: MSI
  dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrV1.0:bd06/20/2013:svnMSI:pnMS-7817:pvr1.0:rvnMSI:rnH81M-P33(MS-7817):rvr1.0:cvnMSI:ct3:cvr1.0:
  dmi.product.name: MS-7817
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: MSI