On 2/14/19 4:19 PM, stan wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 15:09:04 -0800
Laura Abbott <labb...@redhat.com> wrote:

Can anyone see major problems with requiring the same toolchain
version for building external modules as the kernel?

If gcc is updated between Fedora kernel versions and someone wants to
build a module, it would build but be unuseable?  If that is true, then
gcc updates should just be released at the same time as a kernel built
with them to finesse the issue.

I suspect that this would be a rare issue in practice.  Oops, I forgot
about rpmfusion, where they do build modules, and akmod which builds
modules automatically when a new kernel is released.  That would make
it more likely to occur, I think.

Yes, that was the case I was concerned about with gcc being updated.
I guess the case would be where the kernel gets built with a different
gcc that isn't yet on a local system. Doing a batched bodhi update
could fix this for stable releases but we don't have that on rawhide.
Requiring the sync also seems like a pain to deal with.

Laura