On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 1:30 PM Laura Abbott <labb...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > I also think there are other perspectives that might at least
> > potentially be useful here. Right now we've mainly heard from a couple
> > of community folks who are very passionate about btrfs, and Red Hat
> > folks from anaconda/kernel development and RHEL management who
> > essentially see it as a burden that is not aligned with their
> > priorities. Is that all the perspectives we have to make a decision
> > with? I think we should at least talk to the Facebook team that
> > apparently uses btrfs on Fedora extensively about whether they'd be sad
> > to see installer btrfs support die and, if so, whether they'd perhaps
> > be interested in helping support it. And more broadly, community folks
> > on all the lists this is going to: are there more people who actually
> > are interested in this functionality and would be sad to see it go? If
> > btrfs isn't a part of Red Hat's product roadmaps but is important to
> > lots of folks in the wider Fedora community, maybe that's another
> > indicator we can use....or indeed, if it turns out not many folks
> > actually care.
>
> As an on the record btrfs skeptic, I think it would help to have an
> end-to-end picture of what's missing or needs to be added across all
> packages. If someone comes to me today and says "I want to help btrfs be
> successful in Fedora", I'd like to know where to point them besides just
> suggesting they get added on the btrfs kernel alias.

Forgive me, but I had missed this in the sea of other messages (this
thread is long and crazy now!).

The Fedora Btrfs folks over the past few years have implemented the following:
* Developed a DNF plugin to invoke snapper correctly for full system snapshots
* Ported over the change set from SUSE to the Fedora grub2 package to
support btrfs boot to snapshot
* Fixed grubby to handle snapshot menu items for grub (this is kind of
deprecated with BLS, though)

The things that I'm looking to do:
* Develop a libdnf plugin to replace the existing DNF snapper plugin
(so that PackageKit is also covered)
* Adapt the boot to snapshot stuff to use BLS (with boom, presumably?)

The things I've been pushing off (for obvious reasons):
* Enable Anaconda to allow /boot to be a btrfs subvolume (PR is in limbo...)
* Ensure Anaconda configures snapper automatically when btrfs rootfs is selected
* Design a sensible default btrfs layout (perhaps based on the current
openSUSE one?)

The mid-/long-term things I'm thinking of:
* Consideration of moving the rpmdb to /usr/lib/sysimage/rpm (unifying
standard Fedora and OSTree Fedora...)
* A libdnf plugin to implement atomic package management using btrfs
snapshots (like transactional-update, except done properly...)

That's basically the full scope of the Btrfs enablement work I've
planned right now.