From: Justin Forbes on gitlab.com
https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark/-/issues/39#note_562648033

> We want to use this exact moment as the date in the NVR. But, I
believe we should read that from the commit date for that tag, not from
the shell script checking the system clock after it has been tagged.

We can't use the exact moment, the version string on a snapshot is as
long as practical, we can barely append 'test' for a test build due to
rpm limitation.  It could be that date I suppose.  Though there is
nothing there that guarantees it matches what was tagged.

> If there are local changes, they should be committed locally (not
necessarily tagged) and that would affect the commit date though, right?

> Can we make it so that if there are no local changes — if this is a
pristine copy of earlier sources — we get the same NVR? If I am
rebuilding a package today from the exact sources that were tagged 3
weeks ago, I believe the date should be 3 weeks ago, not today.

I don't think this is a versioning issue, so much as a script issue. The
right way to do this would be to add a make reproduceable-build target
which did a clean checkout of that tag and disgarded all untracked
files, then it used that date. That target does not exist right now, and
there is no way for current targets to validate that what you are
building is in fact identical.  The actual kernel patches are checked
for uncommitted changes, but the rpm files, configs, etc are not.