On September 17, 2014 7:20:42 AM EDT, "Robert P. J. Day"
<rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
<snip>

>  and, as we've all seen, nick's other flaw is that, quite simply,
>he's selfish and greedy. his entire obsession is with the output of
>checkpatch, which means he wants to grab all the trivial cleanup (the
>low-hanging fruit, as it were) for himself, and not leave any for
>others. rather than take the time to understand the code, nick wants
>checkpatch to do all the work for him. in the end, nick doesn't want
>to do any work or understand how the kernel actually works -- he just
>wants patches, and he wants them as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Nick and his patches may have plenty of flaws, but I think it is a bit crazy to
call his effort to get his first patch into the kernel greedy.

>From what little I know he originally started trying to make functional code
>changes around various fixme's in the code.  Not surprisingly, that took more
>overall kernel knowledge than he had.  If fixme's were trivial, they would
>have been fixed in the first place, not a comment.

If Greg KH welcomes code style patches in the staging code as a way for newbies
to learn the workflow, then that is a great thing.

Greg (not kh)