Hi,

I want to have maximum debugging symbols in my kernel image and
currently I have changed the build flags in my top level Makefile so
that they look like below.

HOSTCFLAGS   = -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes #-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
#HOSTCXXFLAGS = -O2

ifdef CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
CFLAGS  += -DMANISH -Os
else
CFLAGS  += -DMANISH #-O2
endif

include $(srctree)/arch/$(ARCH)/Makefile

ifdef CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER
CFLAGS  += -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
else
CFLAGS  += -DMANISH #-fomit-frame-pointer
endif

ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO
CFLAGS  += -g
endif

I also have the frame pointers configured.
/home/mkatiyar/personal/uml/linux-2.6.23.12> grep CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER .config
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y

I even tried -g3 , but still while debugging for some symbols gdb says
"value optimized out". I am using UML for debugging. Any other
suggestions which I can change in my Makefile so that gcc doesnt
optimize anything and provides me with the maximum info.

I doubt but can that be related to UML in anyway , because while
building I have to give "arch=UM" ?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Katiyar ( http://mkatiyar.googlepages.com )