On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Erik Mouw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:52:20AM +0530, Manish Katiyar wrote:
>  > I was reading about the lost-write problem in filesystems (see link
>  > below) and wanted to know how traditional linux systems like
>  > ext{2,3,4} or other popular ones handle this case, since most/all of
>  > them don't have any control over the raid.
>  >
>  > http://storagefoo.blogspot.com/2006/04/lost-writes.html
>  >
>  > Any suggestions or links ???
>
>  That's a non-existent problem, IMHO. If a device doesn't raise an error
>  when writing a block is not successful, I'd send it back for warranty
>  to the vendor.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct to some extent though I don't
agree with that completely. For the simple reason that today ext{3,4}
are targetting for being enterprise filesystem and its completely
valid to have the device such bugs. Imagine by the time you realise
that your important data was not properly written to disk and has been
lost , the damage has been already done. So I guess either the
underlying raid software or the file system should have a way of
guaranteeing that the data is safe.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Katiyar ( http://mkatiyar.googlepages.com )