True. but I think before start_kernel what comes into picture lies in head.S.
Of course it is arch specific.

Thus the actual start up code is in head.S -

for i386 it is arch/i386/kernel/head.S
for ARM it is arch/arm/kernel/head.S

AFAIK from there onwards control jumps to start_kernel () in init/main.c

- A