Sorry, I may wrong, just to throw some ideas for brainstorming:

The program u are looking at (arch/x86/kernel/pci-calgary_64.c) is a
watchdog.   Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchdog_timer#cite_note-0

So accordingly, u are supposed to reset the timer of the watchdog, if
not the system will behave in a different way.   (eg, For certain
motherboard, the watchdog timer will reboot the whole system if
instructions streams are not detected at the hard-reset, but it will
not be triggered at soft-reset, or in Cisco router, the watchdog is to
continuously check that the router did not go into an infinite loop,
if timer not reset, it will reboot the whole OS).

but i did saw another patch where the mod_timer() is used to emulate
missing interrupts.   that was just a temporary workaround.   but i
think the usage of mod_timer() is very diverse, and hardware knowledge
comes into play in major way.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh