On 04-05-08 12:35, Anant Narayanan wrote:

While implementing a binary format loader for a foreign executable format, we have found the need to setup the user stack starting at (virtual) address 0xE0000000 instead of the usual 0xC0000000. However a call to setup_arg_pages() with that value returns -EINVAL.

Is there any way to setup the stack such that it starts at 0xE0000000 and
grows downwards?

It depends. There's obviously no way that the user stack can reside in kernelspace (well, sanely) so the question is, "is there any way to have kernelspace limited to the last 512M instead of the last 1G as usual".

I suppose this is on x86-32. If you're on machines with less than 384M of memory the answer is, "sure, just increase PAGE_OFFSET" (look at the Kconfig split selection to see how) while with more you'd need to suffer highmem.

If you're on general out-in-the-wild x86 the answer is "ofcourse not". See first paragraph.

Rene.