Thank you Manish;

I think I am starting to approach an answer I hadn't thought of.  Let me
try it out below.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 23:40 +0530, Manish Katiyar wrote:
[snip]

> I don't know about other OS's, but swapper is *handcrafted* using the
> macro INIT_TASK() macro.

If anyone can confirm that there are other OS's that initiate prcesses
differently from the Linux parent-child process.  No details are really
needed, I would just like to satisfy myself that either all OS's
basically use the parent-child modal or that there are several different
ways that it can be done.  For example, would the Windows registry
system be an alternative??

> Suppose if we had to start all the processes
> from raw probably setting the initial values for the task just as
> swapper will take some time, and you might want to use some kind of
> template from you can derive the default values of the raw process
> quickly.....isn't it ??? .......  And isn't it more beneficial if you
> get the values from the process which is  *most* closest in nature to
> yours so that you have to change only the few key values like tgid,
> ppid etc.

To test my understanding by restating:

At boot time, when starting PID 0 (the swapping process) some?,
several?, all? of the environmental CONSTANTS for my particular system
are loaded and initialized.  By passing those constant values on through
a parent-child modal to each new process those new processes don't have
to re-initialize those constants.

Is this true?  And, might there be other reasons to use a parent-child
modal?

> Ohh and isn't it the same parent child relationship that we were
> discussing, or in other words it is a raw process getting default
> values from a closest template ?

As stated above, this sounds close to a BINGO.

[snip