On 19-08-08 06:25, Mohamed Thalib .H wrote:

- what kernel version to choose. I understand it depends on system
requirements and hardware specs, and I think 2.6.x branch should be
given a preference, as it supports a lot more hardware then 2.4 and
community provides better support as well :) Question is what version
of 2.6.x family to choose, is there a strict criterion to choose ?

Always choose the latest version . the bugs are fixed and new device
supports are added . it will make your task easier.

A slight adjustment might be that there is generally a version that most big distributions agree on (at the moment I believe it's v25) and those will get longer support (and more external patches made ready for it).

Might be somewhat easier to support for a bit longer therefore. Whether or not that's important to you ofcourse fully depends on your local use. If you don't expect to upgrade a once-built board for another few years or so anyway, any advantage is gone as by that time any current kernel is obsolete. In that case, "latest" definitely tends to be the best choice.

Rene.