Hi all,

what is the difference between incb %al and incb $i. According to my
knowledge if you have  some thing like "i++" (in c) then it is translated in
to movw $i %ebx, incw %ebx, movw %ebx $i. My question, when I explicitly
give variable as operand to increment in assembly like "incb $i", then will
that instruction execution cycle involves copying the contents from memory
to register and increment and copy back to memory. Is this hidden
and Assembler takes care of it when writing to image file (machine codes or
elf). Another question: Is incb %al is atomic operation, I mean, Is
instruction execution cycle is interrupted by an event or a process.
Thank you.

Sri.