Hi all,

         I am writing a kernel module. Where in the module, major number is
allocated on fly (alloc_chrdev_region). And using major number from
/proc/devices I create a device node in /dev (mknod). To see what happens if
I create device node with major number first and then asking the kernel to
create same major number on fly when I use insmod(kernel is picking the
major number on fly what I used for device node). When I type insmod the
whole kernel is freezing. Do you think the kernel should avoid such
situation gracefully. Any comments would be helpful.  Thank you.

Sri.