Hi Thalib,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM, H M Thalib <hmtha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM, H M Thalib<hmtha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to test my kernel for stability. Can you help me in artificially
>>> simulating the kernel crash, kernel panic scenarios. Is there any
>>> standard way to simulate it. maybe by running applications, scripts. but
>>> I dont want to modify anything in the kernel space.
>>>

>> Try to study fault-injection. It's documented in
>> Documentation/fault-injection.txt inside kernel source tree. Never use
>> it 'til now, so I only can give you a clue.
>>

> Thanks -
>
> But this steps involves in kernel space,
>
> I am looking for producing kernel panic/crash/hang by running some
> script/application in user space - Is there any tool/standard defined way to
> do that

Why do you feel that you would be able to achieve this? Don't you think that
such scripts would then we used as a malware.

I think in order to have such a protection we have a user space and a kernel
space. You can panic/hang  user space processes using user space programs
unless you have a loop hole in the kernel implementation. Which no one will
put intentionally.

> Thanks
> Thalib

Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”