On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Manish Katiyar <mkati...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM, ajit mote<mail2black...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to know how file system structures are mapped to hard disk
> > sector.
>
> Each filesystem deals in the granularity of "block size" which is
> generally configurable (typically 4K) during fs creation time. So each
> block maps to 8 sectors (which are generally 512 bytes). Now given a
> block number you can multiply it by 8 to get your hard disk sector.

 This is the starting point which I am looking for , you pointed exactly the
same ...

 Any document which describes above in details will be great ....

> > My goal is to understand how file system is created on block device
> > and how superblocks are mapped to hard disk sectors.
>
> Filesystem is created using a userspace binary (mke2fs for example in
> case of ext2). Appropriate datastructures are written at appropiate
> places during the FS creation time. See the sources of mkfs.c in
> e2fsprogs.

I reached here , already downloaded the source for e2fsck package and
playing with it ....

> Superblock will have a predefined block number where it resides. From
> the above calculation you can know which sector to read.

I can read the superblock content(will write small module) using superblock
operation pointed :
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.30.4/fs/ext3/super.c

> > I am not sure whether I stated the problem precisely or not but if I did
> not
> > described it properly then let me know.
>
> I am not sure if that answers your question correctly  :-) . If not
> please let me know.

You answered what i needed at this time ... Thanks

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ajit Subhash Mote